Really, now. I took a pattern and changed it up! The pattern called for DK weight yarn. I used Aran. I had leftover balls of Bernat DenimStyle to use up. I actually made a crocheted afghan with this yarn. I didn't really like the way the fabric turned out crocheted. It worked up too thick and didn't show the pattern well. However, it is a soft yarn; the kind you might even like to hold up to your face and pet a bit! I was right! It knit up into a wonderfully soft pullover. The fabric was substantial but not hefty or stiff. Happiness!
This pick shows the measurement I tried to most closely match on the original pattern. This size was supposed to be 11.5". I went to a little over 12". Not a problem for it to be bigger because the little recipient is growing fast right now. In order to make it about the same size (I wasn't really worried about a sweatshirt type of garment with no shaping not fitting a toddler at some point in his life) I cast on 20 fewer stitches than called for in the pattern, threw all caution to the wind then started knitting.
As a reminder, this free pattern is available at the NaturallyCaron.com website. I recommend this pattern for beginners as there is lots of garter stitch. New skills for some might be casting on mid project and picking up the stitches for the neckline and working in the round. I used a 16" circular because as we all know, I haven't had the moxie to try dpns....yet.
I'm proud of this project because I used stash yarn and (listen for trumpets blaring) it was finished ON TIME! BEFORE the birthday party! I am now doing a little celebration dance a la Snoopy....excuse me