Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sandy the Dottie Doll

Well, here's a mess! With a capital M! You see I set about making a doll and had to take out all kinds of things for inspiration and practicality. Crochet thread, embroidery thread, felt, fabric, scissors, needles, beads, trims, yarn and glue all littered the table during her preparation and "birth". It took two tries alone to get the right size motif to fit her body.
Isn't she a cutie??? Dotties are dolls made of fabric according to a set theme. My theme this time was mother earth related. Although I mostly knit and crochet, I wouldn't be worthy of the title The Stitch Sleuth if I didn't look for other ways to be crafty and incorporate my specialty. Her hair is made from strands of Lion Brand Homespun which has a thread twisted around it. Remove the thread and Voila! you have what looks like wool roving. This color is called Quartz and it's lovely shades of purple. The end of the tail is a five-pointed starfish and the 'sandy beach' across her body is a motif from the Vogue Knitting Stitchionary 4 Crochet. The starfish is on page 148 and the wide scallop is on page 128.
Here's a closer look at the wide scallop. This is actually an edging pattern that you can repeat, but I only made one. This one is made using No. 10 crochet thread. The first one was made with No. 3 thread, but that turned out way too big. I think the motif gives the feeling of the wave retreating from the beach and leaving a lovely, sandy pattern, don't you?

If you want to learn more about Dotties, just search the web or join Swap-bot. I sent this lovely lady off to a swap partner and received one from someone else. Loads of fun, really! You should try it! Ta Ta For Now! Happy Stitching!


No comments:

Post a Comment